Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Finding Happiness Through Giving Back


I always believe that happiness is something beyond what money can buy. Sometimes people easily fall into the perspective of happiness is created when we receive something from others, for example love, care, gift or surprises. However there is different level of happiness which aroused when you give something meaningful to others. 

For instance, I've just met a friend in Danish class who loves giving 'meaningful' gifts to others and the gifts are not necessarily have to be expensive, but it should be personal for the ones receiving it. It reminded me that once in the early days, my and some of friends were excited creating a special gifts for our closest friends who were having a birthday or a farewell party. We created scrapbooks with picture and messages from all of us, support messages cubes that placed in a jar and even an happy birthday message board written in an underwear :-D All the efforts are only to witness the others' happiness when they received the surprise gifts. 

Recently I feel so blessed that I have received so much things in life; a loving husband, a healthy unborn baby, a nice home, caring new friends and a good environment to live. All of those things makes me very happy and complete, that helps me to adapt easily in this new country. And one night this question stumbled in my mind, I have received so many good things, but have I given back enough? 

Then I remembered that I had helped a friend who owned a photography company and needed help with his accounting system. Before I was leaving to Denmark, I have helped him creating the system but he hadn't implemented them since he was busy with the renovation of his new studio. And suddenly few days ago, he emailed me to inform that he already used my system to input the accounting transactions and he found it very useful but he still needed help with some issues. So I helped him checking the input to ensure everything is correctly inputted and I gave some recommendation to improve the system and solve the issues. I didn't get paid for it but somehow I feel a huge satisfaction knowing that I helped him with my knowledge and background to create a better accounting system for his company. Somehow I think, perhaps the happiness wouldn't be as great as it is if I helped him just because he paid me for it. That's the power of giving back, isn't it?

So take some time to consider, have you start giving back to others in need? If you feel unhappy with your life, perhaps you could try to give back and experience the amazing feeling afterwards :)

Cheers,
Indispensable Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Feel free to share them here..