Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Do What You Love

One of the still life object I took from the lesson and got compliment from Mr. Darwis :-D

My love for photography was started when I was in university. I joined a photography club and started to learn how to operate camera and the photography techniques since then. For me, photography is a channel to express creativity. I have always wanted to contribute something to the creative industries and admired those who can inspired others with their creativity, however haven't found a channel that suits me best to express my ideas. I've learned how to draw, how to play musical instruments, how to design stuff with multimedia software; but still I feel like I'm not good at all of them. While through photography, I could express my creativity while still putting my thew in the pictures.

In my early years learning photography, I loved taking pictures of landscape. I guess most of newbie in photography must have gone through this stage. If I could recall, perhaps its because when you found a good scenery, you don't need anything else to make a stunning picture. Therefore it is easier for you to get compliment from others and when you received the compliments, you'll feel better about your skill and somehow it motivates you to keep taking pictures of another amazing scenery.

But then when I know more about the importance of having a concept before taking pictures, landscape photography is not that exciting anymore. In landscape photography, all you need is a good weather, a good timing, a good composition and good technical skill in managing the light in your camera. Perhaps if I travelled alone and have unlimited time, taking photos of landscape could be exciting, since I could have time to plan the photo concept and wait for the right moment. However since most of my traveling time are with families or friends, it's kind of impossible to actualize the idea.

Then I stepped into a higher new stage when I had the chance to learn photography through a formal photography course, in Darwis Triadi School of Photography. They taught us from the very basic techniques and provide us with several genres of photography, such as: still life, architecture, model, landscape etc. From the lesson I realized that I have greater interest in still life photography compared to other genres. The 'love' for still life photography is reflected in my portfolio and even my course friends and Darwis himself agreed that the creativity is shown when I photographing still life objects, while for the other type of objects I couldn't get the best of them. For example when I have to photograph a model and architectural objects, I couldn't feel the same excitement like when I photograph still life objects, and my brain was suddenly kind of stuck that I couldn't think of any concept to make the pictures more alive and interesting. Based on the experience, I realized that the 'love' factor is surely impacted the end result.

I know that we can't be good in everything we do, but my point is when we're doing something we love, a greater and better result would more likely to achieve than when we're doing something we don't love. I know that I'm also not that good in photography, I am far away from being a professional photographer, but the satisfaction when I could take a photo that express my creativity and the appreciation received from others, that is something that motivates me to keep photographing and pursuing the dream to become a pro.

Cheers,
Indispensable Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Feel free to share them here..