Monday, June 4, 2012

Culinary Heaven

My mother is currently on a holiday in Bali at the moment. We talked on Skype yesterday and I was so jealous with her. Bali is one of my favorite place for holiday, not only that I am a beach person but also because there's so many kind of delicious and authentic foods that you may only found in Bali. There are some places I couldn't miss whenever I went to Bali, such as:

1. Babi Guling Ibu Oka
It is located on Jalan Suweta, Tegal Sari No. 2, Ubud and it sells suckling pig with traditional Bali taste. For a complete dish, you would get a crispy skin, tender meat, sausage with mixed vegetables served over rice. You could also ask for the soup and don't forget to eat the dishes with its specialty chili sauce. I usually have a skin pig crackers to accompany the dishes. Personally I think this is the best suckling pig in Bali so this is one of the must visit places whenever I was in Bali. The price for the dish starts from Rp30,000 per portion.


2. Naughty Nuri's
This one also sells pork dishes but this one is Western cuisine. It is famous for its delicious grilled pork rib. The location is also in Ubud, at Jalan Raya Sanggingan. What I love is the meat is very tender with tasty barbecue sauce and the portion is also big, which makes the price of Rp90,000 is worthy. There have two restaurants on the same street, however I prefer to eat at the original place, which is 20 meter after the newer restaurant. They also serve other dishes which is halal, such as beef steak and chicken steak but I've never tried anything else other than the pork rib.


3. Bebek Bengil
Compared to the two places I've mentioned above, this one is pretty expensive. However I must say they have awesome taste of fried crispy duck. This place is located at Jalan Hanoman, Padang Tegal, Gianyar - Ubud. I love the crispiness of the duck's skin but the meat inside is still tender. It's best when you eat them with the chili sauce, which is quite spicy. As I said, the place is kinda pricey, for half-portion of crispy duck, they charge you about Rp100,000.


4. Warung Krisna
I've only tried eating at this Warung once and from that experience I could admit that the Nasi Ayam
(chicken rice) tastes good! The location is on Jalan Kutat Lestari No. 4, Sanur, which is quite remote from the main road however it is well known by foreigner and the local, probably because of the delicious taste and cheap price. Basically they sell Balinese chicken rice, which consist of fried chicken, sate lilit (fish satay), boiled vegetables with shredded coconut, boiled egg, peanut and raw onion chili sauce. You could ask to switch the rice into lontong or porridge. For a portion of chicken rice, it costs only Rp10,000, very cheap isn't it?


5. Menega Cafe
You must have known that Jimbaran is famous for its seafood restaurants, but perhaps once you arrived at Jimbaran, you don't really know which one is the best since there are lots of similar restaurants there. I could recommend you to go to Menega Cafe, which is located at Jalan Four Season Resort Muaya Beach, Jimbaran as the seafood are fresh, tastes good and the most important it has fair prices for the dishes. I have been to another restaurant in Jimbaran and trust me they charged a very unreasonable prices. The price per person in Menega Cafe is approximately starts from Rp50,000. I love the grilled fish, grilled shrimp and the mussels dishes in this place.


I also recommended Bali Bakery if you love cakes, since their cakes is very mouthwatering, they have several branches, one of them is located at Jalan Raya Kuta No. 65. And if you are a big fan of Japanese cuisine, there is an authentic Japanese restaurant, named Take, located at Jalan Patih Jelantik, which sell fresh sushi and other Japanese dishes.

There are lots of places to eat in Bali, I haven't tried them all, but I am going to try them on the next time I have the opportunity to go to Bali. Here are they:

  1. Sup Ikan Mak Beng, located at Jalan Hang Tuah No. 45, Sanur, famous for its sour and spicy fish soup.
  2. Nasi Ayam Kedewatan Bu Mangku, located at Jalan Raya Kedewatan No. 18, Ubud, famous for its Balinese chicken rice.
  3. Nasi Pedas Ibu Andhika, located at Jalan Raya Tuban, famous for its pork dishes served over steamed rice and hot chili.
  4. Warung Nikmat, located at Jalan Bakungsari, Gang Widuri No. 6, Kuta, famous for its East Java cuisine.
  5. Pizza Club, located at Jalan Laksamana No. 60, Oberoi, Seminyak, famous for its Italian pizza.
Wow, my stomach is growling after I wrote all of them. Bali is truly more than just its beaches, it is also a culinary heaven!

Cheers,
Indispensable Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Feel free to share them here..