Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Making New Friends




A stranger is just a friend waiting to happen

- Corrie B-


New environment means meeting new people and creating new circle of friends. Despite of the excitement of getting to know new people, I always feel a little bit of anxiety entering a new group of friends. The thought of will I suit well to the group or will I be accepted by them is haunted me every time  I stepped in to a new society.

I remembered before high school I was very introvert and shy around new people. The attitude sometimes acknowledged by arrogant for others, while the truth is I didn't know how to communicate with strangers. I was not good at breaking the ice or making an interesting conversation with people I just met. However, since I joined one youth community at church, I learned how to speak in public, met a lot of new people and new member every year. It helped me gain more confidence and somehow made me easier to start conversation with new people. As a result, I am getting easier to have new circle of friends in every stage of my life.

I realized that the progress was even faster when I entered university. I used to have only small group of close friends, mostly just 2 or 3 friends, because I couldn't feel comfortable being in a big group, with too many people. However in university I managed to have a big group of close friends, the number even more than 10 persons and I could feel comfortable being around all of them. We even still manage to meet at least twice a year just to keep updated with each other news. Until now, they are still the most precious group of friends I've ever had :)

And now, moving to this entirely new city, I have the urge to make another group of friends. I couldn't imagine how stressful life would be without having a social life. Being unemployed and full time house wife makes it seems more complicated. Having no activities but staying at home, is absolutely keeping me off radar from having new friends. Nonetheless, God is good, He hears my prayer. Before the searching of new friends is getting more stressful, one of my husband's friend's wife texted me two days ago, asking me to contact her if I need a friend to talk or just to hang out. She even asked me to join her meeting another housewives on this Wednesday at a coffee shop on city centre.

Then, this morning, we met at this coffee shop, me, her and another housewife. There are supposed to be another two moms joined us, however since their kids refused to go to daycare, they should take care of them at home. We talked and shared stories, mostly regarding pregnancy, raising a child and relationship with family, since we have quite few similarities, new moms (or mom to be) and full time housewives with a lot of spare time. After a while being out of social life, I could say I had a pretty good time and looking forward for our next meeting.

Hopefully, this could be my new circle of friends in Copenhagen :)

Cheers,
Indispensable Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Feel free to share them here..