Tuesday, July 3, 2012

After Second Attempt

After several months started cooking, I realized that I cook Chinese food more often than cooking Indonesian food. The reason is simple, it is so much easier and less ingredients cooking Chinese food. However, recently I was craving more for Indonesian food, which then I decided to make Siomay Bandung.

My first attempt was a disaster, the result was too thick instead of chewy, it tasted more like meatballs than siomay, even though the peanut sauce was perfect. On my second attempt, I used more tapioca starch and egg white and the siomay turned to be more chewy than the previous one. However since I used more minced chicken rather than the prawn, the taste was better the first one. I guess I should do a third attempt before getting the perfect siomay :-D

I used the recipe from Master Chef Indonesia, the recipe is as follows:

Siomay Bandung (10 pcs)

Ingredients:
Siomay
125 gr minced chicken
50 gr prawn, sliced into small pieces
2.5 tablespoon of tapioca starch
1/2 tablespoon of flour (I omitted this in my second attempt)
1/2 tablespoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
10 sheets of dumpling pastry
1 egg
1 carrot, grated

Peanut Sauce
2 tablespoon of peanut butter (I used the chunky one)
1 red chili
1/2 tablespoon of dried shrimp
2 shallots
2 lime leaves
1 garlic clove
brown sugar, as necessary
salt
water

Method:
Siomay
  1. Mix all the ingredients except the dumpling pastry and carrot
  2. Put the mixture inside the dumpling pastry with a spoon and wrap it.
  3. Sprinkle the carrot on the top
  4. Steam for about 15 minutes, until well cooked
Peanut Sauce
  1. Stir fry garlic, shallot and red chilli
  2. Crush them with a blender along with dried shrimp, peanut butter, brown sugar, salt and water
  3. Stir fry the mixture and the lime leaves until smells nice
  4. Add sweet soya sauce and ketchup, according to taste.
For the siomay mixture I added the tapioca starch and egg white until the mixture is not too thick to get more chewy result, so I didn't stick to the measurement in the above recipe.

Here's the result:


Cheers,
Indispensable Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Feel free to share them here..